Blue Sky/ TPB/ IGS Board Meeting

  • Subject: Blue Sky/ TPB/ IGS Board Meeting
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 23:12:19 EST

Robin Members-

A while back we had an animated discussion on the Robin, under the heading
Blue Sky Ideas,  about possible ways to help move the IGS forward, improve
services to IGS members, and help improve the financial situation of the IGS.
Unfortunately, although everyone in the IGS would benefit from some of the
ideas presented, only a handful of people participated in the discussions.

Also discussed during the same period was a newsletter called The Pelargonium
Breeder ("TPB"). TPB was in existance in the early 1970s. At the urging of
the IGS President, Cindi Lohry, I brought up for discussion the possibility
of resurrecting TPB in some form. Again, an animated discussion started, and
again it was pretty much the same people involved.

I was asked to write a summary of the Blue Sky/ TPB discussions to be
presented at the last board meeting. Several Robin members, myself included,
have asked board members, repeatedly, what the outcome was of this
presentation . One Robin member  heard that many Blue Sky ideas were shot
down. To date, I have yet to hear anything from anyone who attended the board
meeting. Maybe I'm mistaken in my belief that board members serve the general
membership. Maybe I'm mistaken in my belief that it would be common courtesy
to answer an e-mail.

It appears many IGS Board members either don't have a computer  or choose not
to be involved in Robin discussions. In my opinion, any IGS Board member who
has a computer and chooses not to be involved in the Robin should be replaced
by someone interested  in advancing the society and staying current on what
is being discussed. In my opinion, any board member who has a computer, but
is too busy to answer e-mail from other IGS members, needs to consider
stepping aside and allowing someone w/more time to assume the duties
required. I'm only sorry I didn't include that as one of my Blue Sky ideas!

With apologies to anyone not involved-
Ed

Ed Olson-Moore
h20wrx