Re: [IGS] geraniums

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the Quad Cities area so I'm alittle
southeast of you. I used to live in the Ia Cty/ Cedar Rapids area and
I'm familiar with Marion. ( If I remember correctly there is a medium
size horticulture conservatory in a park on the border of Hiawatha
somewhere.... Or is that between Marion and C.R.?)
To my knowledge, there isn't an IGS chapter in this area. If you want to
travel alittle, I understand that there is an associated group called
Mid-West Geranium Club in Council Bluffs, Ia. I joined the society about
6 months ago so I am just learning what is available on a day by day
basis. I am enjoying the quarterly newsletter and since you are looking
for sources, I feel I should say they have a fairly extensive seed bank
for members only with seeds of all the genera of the Geraniaceae Family.
Sorry to hear that your Hardy Geraniums Didn't make it through the move.
Most of mine are from local sources. I have been surprised as to what
has been turning up in the garden centers lately as there must be a
renewed interest in geraniums as perennials. (even places like Lowes and
WalMart have many varieties to offer in this area.) Are you familiar
with Milaeger's Gardens? They have a large offering of G's with very
complete descriptions in their catalog. They have a Web Site but I don't
have the address handy. Their # is 1-800-669-9956 and youcan request a
catalogue (wide variety of perennials also).
While most recommend that spring is the most ideal time to take cuttings
of the new growth on P's, I have had good results any time of year as
long as the cuttings used are of well developed but not woody growth.
(There are some plants that I have a terrible success rate any time of
year <G>)
Erodiums are good rockery plants. I have one called 'Charm' and also the
species E. chamaedryoides. Both are low growing and spread well without
being too invasive. Others varieties are available through Deerwood
Geraniums (route 4 box 525a, Buchannon, WV 26201) A remarkable
catalogue cost $3. Seeds for Erodiums are also available through the IGS
seed bank. Guisseppi is a low growing rock garden type geranium too. G.
dalmaticumis a nice low groing plant also. G. macrorrhizum endures dry
conditions and is one of the lower growing , spreading Geraniums that
probably would fit in a rockery also. Maybe sanquineum would fit in also
. I would be interested to see other suggestions. My first choice would
erodiums though <G>.
Micro Climates are fun to find. I have some areas in my yard that I
think are zone 6 and another area that I am really considering as a zone
7. I am doing an experiment this year in an area close to the house by
leaving a Spanish Lavender plant out and protecting it well. I will be
estatic if it survives as they don't like temps below 15-20F . Our
subzero climate can be muder on a plant like that.
I like most all perennials. I have started a modest Hosta collection.
and look forward to to seeing if my new variagated Solomon Seal will
come up next spring. If not I will replace it as I really want a healthy
one of those.
Better close for now.
Hope all is well in IA . TTYL

> Date: Wednesday, 05-Nov-97 11:35 AM
> From: John Pat Adney           \ Internet:    (
> To:   Dale Neil                \ PRODIGY:     (JJCA95A)
> Subject: geraniums
> Hi Dale,
> Read your post and tried to find G. Guisseppi in my info, but failed.
I have
> read about it somewhere, and am guessing it may be somewhat tender in
> area. I'd be on the safe side and give it good protection, using
whatever you
> normally use for plants of questionable hardiness.
> I'm new to the geranium list, but not to the true geraniums. I grew a
> varieties in perennial borders in Anamosa, Iowa, but have none at our
house in
> Marion, Iowa (next to Cedar Rapids). We moved 16 months ago; took tons
of hosta
> and daylilies with me as well as a few geraniums, but none of the g's
> Am planning to plant new g's this spring. Would appreciate any
> for types and suppliers. Mine were purchased locally. I wish to branch
out into
> more varieties next year, including a small rockery for tiny g's. I
have a
> small garden for dwarf hostas but want to create a rockery containing
> rock plants including geraniums.
> Where are you located? From your description, I assume you're around
> What are your microclimates? Your favorite perennials, etc.?
> I've gardened in 6 Midwest states, in 3 different zones. Currently I'm
on the
> zone 4-5 line growing hosta, daylilies, shrub and floribunda roses
(teas and I
> don't get along), other perennials, some shrubs and annuals. Borders
> planted in July-September 1996 and spring/summer 1997. Ah, the joys of
> over! I had more room at Anamosa, where the soil was very good and
there was a
> good choice of microclimates ranging from full shade to full sun. In
Marion it
> contains clay and is less easy to work with; most borders are in full
sun or
> light shade, making hosta-growing more difficult but not impossible.
> I grow indoors, too. Have rhizome and cane begonias, saintpaulias,
cacti and
> others under lights in a basement workshop and around the house. Also
> topiary from ivy. I have pelargoniums resting after blooming their
heads off
> through autumn. The P's are nothing out of the ordinary, except for
> variegateds and a couple red rosebuds. I'm interested in developing a
> collection of P's. Is there a geranium society chapter in this area?
Can P