Re: [IGS] more info

Hi Terry,

I haven't had my Attar of Rose bloom yet but I will have to admit that I
haven't really encouraged it to bloom... I enjoy the foliage too much I
guess :-) .
I have close to 50 varieties of Scented now and I have discovered that
some such as Old Spice and many of the Nutmeg/Apple hybrids just love to
bloom with very little provocation (I understand that this is one reason
why apple and nutmeg were used so much in hybridizing). Coconut is
another one that just won't stop with the blooms and it actively reseeds
There seems to be 3 variables when it comes to getting these plants to
bloom: day length, air temperature, and the right plant food. I find
that some of my scenteds will sulk all summer then when fall arrives,
they decide they better bloom now (or forever hold their peace <G>) .
Others decide they want to bloom when I put them under lights and leave
the lights on for 24 hour days. And last but not least, since they are
heavy feeders, an active fertilzing with a high phosphorus plant food
will give the needed boost (Your certainly right with the magnesium also
) . I would expect that each plant has it's own amounts in either of
these 3 areas in order to bloom so if you want to experiment with your
Attar of Rose and Lemonrose (is this Rober's Lemon Rose?) you might try
giving them longer lighting period, alittle extra phosphorus and keeping
them in the 60-75 F range. (I have many of mine in an unheated, finished
attic where I have installed 4 fluorescent fixtures.)
Hope you get to see those bloom for you , (If you like Prince Ruppert,
you might really like it's variegated sport. It's one of my favorites.