Re: Freezing temps

Hi Ronald,

I am a zone 5 ver too and we have had some definite official hard
freezes here. However, my yard is in a somewhat protected area and all
my pelargoniums are doing just fine. Narry a darken leaf among them.
Pelargoniums seem to hold up fairly well until the temps in my area drop
below 20. If they are kept close to a structure (esp as in a window box)
they will bennefit from the heat rediated from that structure too.
My impatients and torenias are all done for the year but the pellies are
still going strong for now.
I also have many tender perennial herbs in the yard that are doing fine.
I live in Rock Island Illinois and I was listening to my little weather
cube one early morning. At 2 AM that day, Davenport Iowa (just across
the river form me... basically the same city) was reporting 23 degrees
F. while my side of the river was reporting 32 degrees. Go figure that
one out :-) . So there are really a lot of variables that can have an
affect.

HTH,
Dale Neil
Rock Island, Illinois Zone 5