Re: Hybridizing

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Hybridizing
  • From: "Roth, Barry" <BRoth@BROBECK.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 21:14:34 -0700

In the 1970's I was an avid (although small-scale) hybridizer of zonals
(Pelargonium x hortorum).  I had to stop when my family and I moved to
another location, and I never picked it up again at the same level -- but it
remains very interesting to me.  I did manage to develop one variety that,
last time I checked, was still on some dealers' lists:  "Foxfire," a single,
pale lilac dwarf.

I would be happy to answer any questions, even if it means I have to go
digging in my notebooks from those days.  (A notebook, by the way, is
probably the hybridizer's most important tool.  That, plus a couple of good
novels to get you through the winter when your plants aren't setting seed!)