Re: Hybridizing

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Hybridizing
  • From: "Roth, Barry" <BRoth@BROBECK.COM>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:57:42 -0700

Cynthia S. Lohry [mailto:Hedgehug@AOL.COM] wrote:

>Can someone refresh my memory ... what is the rule about whether
>it is the pollen-contributing plant or the seed-bearing plant
>that influences the color and size of the resulting offspring?

In the case of P. x hortorum, I think both male/pollen and female/seed
parents contribute to flower color and plant stature.  I recall that leaf
color (as in silver-leaved or golden tricolor) inherits at least partly from
factors outside the nucleus of the cell and is more influenced by the seed
parent.  Does anyone else remember if this is true?

Both flower color and plant stature are "multi-factorial" -- that is,
several genes contribute to the final appearance of the plant.

Barry Roth

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

To reply to our email administrator directly, send an email to postmaster@brobeck.com
BROBECK PHLEGER & HARRISON LLP
http://www.brobeck.com