Re: Diploid and Tetraploid

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Diploid and Tetraploid
  • From: Phil Bunch <pbunch@CTS.COM>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:20:29 -0700

2N cells are those found in leaves, stems, roots and other non-sexual
(somatic) tissues. In mammals, the cells of arms, legs, hands etc are
mostly 2N. When an organism reproduces sexually they produce N cells
as pollen, ova, sperm etc. If the somatic tissues are 2N=22 that means
that most leaf cells have 22 chromosomes. A pollen grain from such a
plant has a reproductive cell with 1/2 the somatic number as does the
egg. These reproductive cells are N=11. In a tetraploid with 2N=44,
the reproductive cells have N=22. Just 1/2 the somatic number.

If you cross a diploid (N=11) with a tetraploid (N=22) you get a
triploid offspring with 2N=33. Since the chromosomes have to matched
evenly to produce good pollen or egg cells triploids are normally

Hope this helps,

Phil Bunch