Re: Leaf Color

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Leaf Color
  • From: "Roth, Barry" <BRoth@BROBECK.COM>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:02:00 -0700

From: Sandy Connerley [mailto:sandym@NORTHCOAST.COM]

>leaf color (as in silver-leaved or golden tricolor) inherits at least
>partly from factors outside the nucleus of the cell and is more
>influenced by the seed parent.

A related point for the hybridizer is that often the seedlings of variegated
crosses will have normal (fully green) pigmentation on the main stem but
incomplete pigmentation (a white or cream edge to the leaf, or white
streaks) on the branches arising on one side, or at one spot.  Since in
these crosses it is usually the variegated condition that is of interest,
you would then start propagating from those shoots.  Sometimes the pigment
load seems to be unstable and a cutting will revert to full-green; or the
variegation will be irregular.  Completely white shoots, which sometimes
arise, lack chlorophyll and cannot survive on their own.

Obviously, if you're aiming to produce a cultivar that propagates "true,"
the pigment-unstable cuttings would not be "keepers."  But sometimes if you
grow them long enough they will produce what seem to be stable branches.

I'll be away from the list until early next week but look forward to picking
up on return.  I'm learning lots!  Thanks, Sandy, for asking the good

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

To reply to our email administrator directly, send an email to postmaster@brobeck.com