P. quinquelobatum

  • Subject: P. quinquelobatum
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:09:37 -0600

 Faye Brawner crossed P.quinquelobatum with a dwarf zonal and now carries
the hybrid in her catalog, as well as the original zonal parent.  Has
anyone else tried crossing quinquelobatum with zonals?  I thought  Ciconium
isn't ordinarily compatible with other sections.  I ask because I have 3
small q's that are just coming into bloom, and I made my first q. x zonal
dwarfs today.  (I also wonder how many times she tried before success.)

Perhaps it's a case of the following?

>Zonals have large chromosomes, while the two species mentioned >have small
>chromosomes. According to Dr. Mary Gibby,(U.K.) it would >be a bigger
>hurdle to cross species w/ different chromosome sizes, >than it would be
>to cross two species w/ the same chromosome size >but different chromosome
>numbers.
>Ed

Maria