Re: Blue Sky Idea - Final chapter

  • Subject: Re: Blue Sky Idea - Final chapter
  • From: "Laurie AE O'Meara" Laurie@LAEOM.COM
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:36:03 -0400

Hi Ed and everyone :)

Ed, I was thinking about the Geranium Festival idea and just had one
thought.  It's not even a suggestion, as I have said before I am fairly new
here and not familiar with the total aspect of volunteers/resources etc.  My
thought was that it is a huge undertaking to put on a festival or flower
"convention", and perhaps one way to start out is to "piggyback" with one of
the established horticulture events.  For example, Massachusetts Hort
Society holds the New England Flower Show (a very big event), and I believe
there are vendors and societies, etc. that participate by renting space
within the umbrella of the overall show.  Perhaps instead of that relatively
small aspect of participation, IGS could have a complete festival, on a
"medium" scale, at the same time as, and on the same property of a large
event like the NE Flower Show.  I'm sure the Hort Society or main event
committees might want to see some fee sharing from ticket sales or
something, and perhaps it could be arranged one year at a time, but the
advantages would be things such as being able to tap into the throngs of
people that will already go to an event such as the NE Flower Show, starting
out on a "medium" scale for the first event, sharing advertising costs and
other expenses the first time, etc.  Something along the lines of a "NE
Flower Show/International Geranium Society Annual Festival."  And then
perhaps in the second year, hold the Festival separately after being able to
gauge participation, sales, needs for speakers, etc.

Just a thought ..

Laurie