Arnold Arboretum (long)

  • Subject: Arnold Arboretum (long)
  • From: "Laurie AE O'Meara" Laurie@LAEOM.COM
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:40:38 -0400

Hi Everyone :)  I did manage to get through to one person today at Arnold
Arboretum.  Their collection and mission is to collect all the woody plants
only (trees and shrubs) that will survive our zones of 6-7.  They do have
two gardens as part of the collection, one for roses and one shrub and vine
garden.  I obtained this information from the woman who answered the phone,
but am waiting for a call back from the Director of Education to see if they
have a location for IGS information and literature to at least be displayed.
I asked if they would consider hosting a summer annual pelargonium/geranium
garden and the woman I spoke with said no, as all plants have to be part of
their permanent collection.  I am not familiar enough with all of the Pel.
or Ger. species to know if any of them are more shrub-like or woody. If
anyone knows of any of the species that could be classified as woody/hardy
in USA zone 6 (Boston), please let me know.   I am surprised they don't host
annual gardens in the summer, if only to show underplantings for trees, and
I will ask what they have under their trees when I hear back from them.

 I coincidentally was looking into the disposition of the tree geranium
(Geranium arboreum) which in a 1972 GATW was found at Maui, but I believe
even if I find that is not extinct, it is a tropical and thus would not be
allowed at Arnold.  I was hoping for a species to get our foot in the door,
so to speak.

I also left a message (again) at Mass Hort, and they seem to be the Boston
area association that a Pelargonium/Geranium garden would be best received
at (so far).  I am only posing the possibility of such to these associations
and in no way trying to actually organize such an event - only finding out
possibilities, just so everyone knows I am not trying to speak for IGS when
I am making these calls.

Laurie A.E. O'Meara
Artist and Horticulturist
ODH, Ornamental Horticulture
Cape Cod, MA USA zone 7
Moderator/Owner -Geraniums and Pelargoniums at Yahoo