Re: Pelargonium Breeder's Forum

  • Subject: Re: Pelargonium Breeder's Forum
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:05:37 -0600

Doesn't any and every enthusiast's group have a meeting place - even if
'only' virtual - to get together and share ideas, means & methods, sources,
arguments, complaints, notices, lists and news, discoveries, descriptions,
gossip, accomplishments - in no particular order of importance?  Obviously
a pel. breeders' group is self-explanatory and would attract breeders: the
hopeful, the hobbyists (why does that word irritate?), and the
professionals.  IMO there should be no difference or discrimination.
Everybody might learn from anybody at some stage or another.

A regular Q & A column would be a good idea.  Questions could be solicited
(there would be no shortage believe me), the best posted, and answered by
someone who knows what they're talking about from a list of professionals
or experienced growers who agree to take on this Dear Abby task.  (Wit and
lightheartedness never hurt.)

Of course you would need a Readers' Forum.   Perhaps an Interesting Plant
of the Month.  Or week, or how frequently you gather sufficient material.
Maybe somewhat irregularly, according to enthusiasm and membership.

Perhaps the way to break the ice is to post an initial  newsletter with a
number of volunteers including the editorial board (OK , the guy who
thought it up) contributing a short bio and description of how they started
and where they're at.  Plus an appeal for comments, suggestions, etc. etc.
I'm not Web-savvy, I hate Yahoo but it seems to be the most accessible
venue, with room for photo attachments, and links to the newsletter could
be added to other Pelargonium/Geranium sites such as Alby Scrivens, Matija
Strlic et al, plus the many English-literate (Danish, French, German, etc.
etc.) societies, not to mention various pel./geranium nurseries if they
agree.

Well I've kicked around your can a bit.  Let me suggest one of any number
of possible future templates to inspire you: Swirled News
http://www.swirlednews.com/ which subject matter is beside the point  but
whose format is attractive, literate articles easily browsed, and editorial
style free of typos.
Maria