Re: SPECIES: question: cristata signal pattern

Linda Mann wrote;
>On the cristata in my woods, the darker blue at the end of the >signal is
>in two very distinct lobes, pinched up almost to nothing in the middle. The
>lobes kind of stick out to either side. Can anybody comment on this?  Are
>the signals that varied in >cristata?

I have checked all my I. cristata's and the signal pattern only varies in
depth of color, from not visible to very dark.
I wonder if Linda has I. verna growing in her woods. Both species should be
native there. I have not had any success blooming I. verna and can not
locate a really good description or photo. I do have an extensive
horticultural library, heavy on iris books.
The other possibility is ;she has a distinct form of I. cristata and I need
a sample for evaluation.  : )

Jim Murrain ,Kansas City, Mo. Zone 5/6
Life member ,AIS , SIGNA  &
Greater Kansas City Iris Society