Re: Seedling Forked Tounge

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Seedling Forked Tounge
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <PatrickJOrr@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 06:17:44 -0700

Very nice picture of FT.  The double appendages are very attractive to those who are into SA irises.
I would find myself asking the same question you are asking if I produced an iris like this one.  What to do...what to do?
Since you have a few thousand of them and have spent quite a lot of time and energy growing it, fertilizing it, and watering it, it would be very difficult to throw the variety away.  Yet, on the other hand, I am sure you are struggling with it in your own mind because you really want to produce something that has a modern SA form, with wider halfts, and perhaps some more ruffling.
If I were in your shoes, (which one day I will be - hopefully), I would find the best growing reblooming iris in my garden with the most modern formed flower and would plant them in a row right next to the row of your SA seedling.  Then, when spring comes, I would be out there (with several helpers) making reciprical crosses from the SA seedling to the rebloomer and visa-vesa until a certain number of crosses were made. You would have to determine how many that would be to satisfy the idea that so many seedlings are needed to get the best representation of all the possible traits that can be expressed.
Once that is accomplished, I would probably <grimmace> throw most of the seedlings out, reserving a few for future crossings.  Hopefully the cross you make to a rebloomer will produce something better than its parents, but if it doesnt, then you will have many more of the SA seedling to cross with again onto another flower.
Sutton's has many wonderful oncers with modern formed flowers, good growth, branching, bud-count etc. for sale already, and many older ones that are good  that have narrower halfts. I am sure many of them are in the same color range.  The only difference I can see that FT has over the good growing narrower-hafted older ones is the double appendages.
Therefore, if I were in your shoes, I would be saying to myself, "Self, (because that is what I call myself), do I want to spend all this time, effort, and money to improve on the older flower forms, or the more modern flower forms?
This is a tough call I am sure, but pretty soon the cost factor to maintain this variety will come into play unless a decision is made soon.
I should have such luck to be in your situation!!!  lol  That is what makes this all so much fun isn't it?
Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  USA
Zone 9