Re: RE: I. cristata

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE: I. cristata
  • From: "Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:12:50 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>

> I am only about ten miles north of Dennis and my  I. cristata are just
> sending leaves up, not even close to bloom.
> They usualy bloom with the late SDB's. This year is weird I have TB stalks
> up half way on one and an IB blooming.

Hi Mike,

Cristatas are peeking out of the ground by about 1/4", SDBs are barely 1"
tall, TBs are only 4" tall, and if it warms up suddenly everything will
bloom at once. Bad for gardening. Good for crosses.

Those strange cristatas probably were weather related but I wonder how much
soil ph might affect the color? Do you still have the photos of the weird

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA