Re: Aril med rebloomer

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Aril med rebloomer
  • From: "Harold" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 05:31:39 -0800

IMHO whether to introduce a iris depends on the characteristics of the plant
equally to the characteristics of the flower. I also know that a photograph
is a totally inadequate way to judge either the plant or the flower.
Finally, the decision to introduce should be based on some obvious
improvement.

When I look at the photo of the flower, I see almost nothing aril appearing
and very open standards. If I have an arilbred, I  think it should be
somewhat obvious that it has some favorable aril characteristics.

From a plant perspective, I have found that many 1/4 breds that have foliage
which shows the aril characteristic of going dormant in the summer
regardless of how it is watered. There are two drawbacks to going dormant.
First dormant foliage is ugly and the going dormant process is not pretty
either. Second, the usual recommendation for dormant rhizomes is to not
water them because the moisture while dormant greatly increases the
possibility of rot. Not watering is difficult to do if the dormant cultivar
is planted in a row or bed with cultivars that are not dormant.

If this arilmed is a fertile halfbred, then the rebloomer gene is valuable
and it should be introduced just for that hybridizing characteristic. If it
is not fertile or a quarterbred, then there should be something of value
that I have not seen in the photo to overcome the lack of aril
characteristics and the open standards. And it should not have the tendancy
to go dormant or to rot.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road