[PHOTO] ]iris-photos] Re:Seedlings at Suttons | Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:59:59" />

[PHOTO] ]iris-photos] Re:Seedlings at Suttons

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] ]iris-photos] Re:Seedlings at Suttons
  • From: cathycampi@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:59:37 EDT

While we at Suttons George took time away from (escaped from?) the hectic festval preparations to show Cathy the process of seedling selection.

The easy part was poor increase,low bud count and poor general appearence. It gets more difficult because now you have to be subjective about good branching and good flower form.

The hardest part is it going to be good enough to introduce because it is an improvement of whats already been introduced. George cut a stalk of one seedling to show us the quality a good seedling should have. As we walked out of the field he rejected this perfectly good seedling because it was too similar to a previous introduction!

The seedlings selected from this field will be tested further and maybe in a couple of years Mike will post a picture. The field of seedlings in the picture and all the work that went into them will be part of this years harvest bonfire...

George was very inspirational about own hybridising efforts but we still left with a much deeper respect for the introductions by all hybrizers.

Michael
stockton Ca

JPEG image