Re: SDB: Being Busy & sdlng

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: SDB: Being Busy & sdlng
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:03:40 -0400

The color differences (at least on the falls for sure) are due entirely
to lighting and camera differences.  In real life, they are identical,
except perhaps for the golden 'tip' on the ends of the falls on my
seedling.  I pulled a fall from my seedling and from BEING BUSY and put
them side by side - not much difference I could see.  Wish I'd taken a
photo of that!

The form is pretty much the same, even tho it looks different in the
photos.  But I am definitely not aware of what to look at to discern
differences in SDBs.

I'm not sure about the bud count - again, not something I thought to
look at.  The garden impact/color saturation on the sdlng did seem a bit
stronger, but I didn't actually compare the color of the standards the
way I did the falls.

Both BB & sdlng open with plush ruby burgundy falls that fade slightly
to a more purplish color.  The rim color is the same on both - except
maybe for the gold end of the falls.

The gold color is due to pigment on the back of the falls.  Both irises
have it, and the lavender/lilac rim is due to the pigment on the reverse
not extending all the way to the edge of the falls.  It looks as though
the gold pigment is actually in a separate cell layer that is missing at
the edges, which are therefore more transparent, as well as a different
color.  On my sdlng, that layer on the reverse extends farther down the
falls than on BB.  I think.

Judy Hunt in KY said:
<I have been going back and forth between this photo and your seedling
                   photo, and I certainly see enough difference in them
to warrant the
                   introduction of your seedling.  As Walter said, the
fact that it blooms out
                   of the foliage is a big plus, and I also see enough
difference in form and
                   color that I don't think it would be mistaken for
Being Busy. >

& Christy said:
<BB: There's a pale lavender streak at the base of pale yellow
standards.
                   Seedling: Bright clear lemon standards.

                   BB: Falls appear grape purple with a lilac rim.
                   Seedling: Falls look reddish brown with a lavender
rim lightening to yellow
                   at the tip.

                   In addition to being taller it also looks like your
seedling has more buds.
                   :-)>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8