Re: Re: multiple stalks per rhizome - closeup

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: multiple stalks per rhizome - closeup
  • From: John Jones jijones@usjoneses.com
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:51:49 -0700

I am trying to remember some of the discussions we had a couple of years
ago (without going into the archives). I think that pineappling is a
result of some sort of damage to the meristem (and can be caused by
weather). In irises it is similar to the same thing in trees (pine
especially I think) referred to as "witches broom" where the top of the
treesplits into a multi-stemmed affair. I believe that is the origin of
some of the dwarf and miniature pine tree clones that have been developed.

donald wrote:

> > That could be pineappling.
> Sort of resembles it.  I'm on record as believing this is the result
> of a late freeze while the stalks were forming.  I've had one
> pineapple once and the growth here is slender and really about as
> tall as TIGER HONEY ever gets here - about 29-34 inches while the
> pineapple growth was stubby and thick (didn't survive either).  But
> I think the extra stalks would have been branches if there hadn't
> been the hard freeze in late February.  Lots of extra and missing
> parts on things this year.  I think this is just another example.
> The plant itself should be fine.  There are enough non-blooming fans
> for another season.
> Donald
>   Pineappled stalks are shorter than normal.
> > A healthy clump can multiply and correct itself next year if it
> doesn't
> > rot or bloom out.  It isn't a disaster.
> >
> > Francelle Edwards    Glendale,  AZ   Zone 9

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending: