Re: Re: Re: Allbicans ? Florentina?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Re: Allbicans ? Florentina?
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 06:40:22 -0800 (PST)

 David; have you ever thought of naming your white pallida? I took a glance at all of the cultivars of pallida Iisted in the checklist and I don't believe there is a named variety that is pure white. Of course one could always use alba but it seems like it would benefit from having a cultivar name. I assume the bracts are silvery papery and therefore in the subspecies pallida as opposed to brown papery and in the subspecies cengialtii. A cultivar name would help distinguish it from other white pallidas that may turn up and it would count as another specimen in varietal shows as opposed to being lumped under pallida with blues and purples that are unnamed. I always like to give people another reason for growing species and if they can win ribbons at a show that is enough to get some people to grow them.

Yahoo! Groups Links