  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] KOKO KNOLL
  • From: Walter Pickett <waltseed2@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:23:50 -0700 (PDT)

Laurie Flynn <amnemachin@yahoo.com> wrote:
I was wondering if you (or someone else out there) wouldn't mind giving me a brief review of the aril terminology - aril, arilbred, OGB, OGB+, etc...  I've seen it before, but haven't retained it.  Do you know which type is Esther?
It's easy.  Arils are the species and hybrids of pure aril species.  these species are mostly from the middle east up to central Asia.  They are generally adapted to dry areas.  some to hot, dry areas.
Arilbreds are hybrids between the eupogons (the TBs, SDBs, and MDBs, and even MTBs) and the aril iris.
OGB are oncogelia breds (oncogelias are hybrids of pure arils, but including both oncos and regelias in their pedigree).  OGB- means less than half aril.  OGB+ means more than half aril.
Ester the Queen is half and half, and one of the most fertile with other half and halfs, arils, and eupogons.

  And it is one of the easiest to grow.

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links