AR: I. stolonifera child

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] AR: I. stolonifera child
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <irisdude@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:12:00 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:12:01 -0700

Just this week, the attached photo'd iris began to bloom for me.  I took it to the iris meeting last night, because it was obviously not Kalifa's Robe, which was printed on the leaf when I got it from the club-grown iris sale last year. There are two pictures attached. One taken in sun and one in shade.

Nobody recognized it (or admitted to it), but fortunately Lowell Baumunk was our guest speaker, and shed some insight.

He thought it looked like it was out of I. Stolonifera.  He showed a picture of this iris during his presentation, and I happen to agree with him...it does look like a child...but which one?

There are only a few Regelia hybrids on the market today that have I. Stolonifera in the pedigree as one of the parents, according to the online checklist.  It is blooming tall, at about 24-26 inches tall, and the foliage is thin and gray-green, and very vigorous!

Anybody have any ideas what it is?  Either way, I like it.  It is nice and looks great in the clump.

The true color is a bit more brown than this.  The nice electric violet blue fades during the day to almost nothing.  The brown seems to get a little more brown.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  Zone 9
USA