  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: ROSEMOHR sdlg
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 19:26:39 -0000

No, ROSEMOHR would not be considered 1/4.  It was disenrolled as an
arilbred and is no longer on the AB rolls.  It did have what was
considered a 1/4 AB parent, so at one time it would have qualified
as 1/8.  It was registered in 1948.  ORMOHR is the pollen parent
(1/4 under the old terminology).  ROSEMOHR has a strappy look even
for the 1948 vintage it is.  My assessment of its bloom was zero
aril in appearance.  I'll have to reassess that again, of course,
when it blooms in a week or so.  My guess was that it could possibly
be an aneuploid since similar parents gave plants counted as
aneuploids.  So I was curious.  I'm curious about aneuploids.  I
don't really understand them and how they work, but am curious
anyway.  In a simple world ROSEMOHR would be a TB - period.  No
aril.  That, I think, can be discounted based on the results of the
two plants that have bloomed whether any further seedlings display
as much aril or not.  Yes, both have pollen.  They have more aril in
appearance than almost any OGB- type I grow, whether registered or
homegrown.  I cannot find any modern equivalents to the type of
pedigree represented by R.  That type of hybridizing seems to have
stopped around 1960 or at least any further plants seem not to have
been registered.  What was registered and introduced are hard to
find.  Probably many are lost forever.  These blooms need work.
Primarily they could use more substance and a bit more clarity of
color.  I'm struck, though, by the fact that both seedlings have two
well defined branches.  Now I need to find if they have the ability
to set seeds.  I also need to reconsider R and see if a different
cross might gain over what is here.  It set three pods quite readily
using ESTHER, THE QUEEN, but my weather is often not conducive to
repeating successes.  Germination was also very good for me.  I have
two pots with new seedlings that waited a year to germinate.
Probably some the best germination from pods I've ever had.  Not
what I've come to expect from TB X AB seeds.

Note - I'm saying much of this from memory, so I hope the parent was
ORMOHR and not NOMOHR.  Can't be sure until I check when at home.
My memory is just not as reliable ANYMOHR.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links