Re: TB: Inside Seed Pod

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: Inside Seed Pod
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:30:38 EDT

In a message dated 4/8/2004 12:39:31 PM Mountain Daylight Time, irisdude@msn.com writes:
Here is what the inside of a seed pod looks like right after the flower has faded.

I did not pollinate this flower, but maybe a bee did, I don't know...

From the uniformity of the proto-seeds, my guess is that the ovules had not been fertilized.

One of the most enlightening experiments I performed in my earliest days of hybridizing was to make a number of expendable crosses and dissect one of the developing pods each week.  This not only provided insight to the developmental process, but established a baseline for subsequent postmortems of aborted pods.

Sharon McAllister

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links