Re: surprise sdlg

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: surprise sdlg
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 22:29:15 -0000

> Looks like you've produced long-needed evidence that ROSEMOHE is
an OB- in
> the modified chromosome-set system!

Yes, this would explain the appearance of the seedling.  I did
(knowing it could possibly not be the case) consider ASI got it
right and that I was most likely working with a TB.  The aneuploid
factor I don't understand, but was also in my mind.

It does not explain the full pods and good germination.  OB- types
have done neither for me.  TB X AB often give full pods, but with
poor germination.  That is for me, of course.  So, I still am
wondering about my results.  Overall I wouldn't have expected what
has happened.  The explanations I can come up with for one facet
contradict the other.
> I wouldn't expect seedlings to be sexually mature on maiden bloom,
but hope
> you'll hang on to this one for subsequent compatibility tests.

I try maiden bloom.  Sometimes I get takes (only via pods BTW).  Not
often, but then I often can't get repeat crosses on plants I've had
prior success.  I think my climate conditions are always going to
place limits on my efforts to evaluate fertility of a plant.  I've
had terrible success with ESTHER, THE QUEEN e.g.  Only these pods
and a seedling have ever set seeds with the pollen, never a pod.  I
think the track record of EQ probably says a lot about my
conditions.  Everything needs to be right, and they usually aren't.

Yahoo! Groups Links