Re: Easy ABs

In a message dated 4/9/2004 1:39:55 AM Central Daylight Time, jgcrump@erols.com writes:

I wonder if there's anyone from the "slough
of despond" or anywhere else in hot and humid zone 7 who can tell us of ABs
and OGBs that do well here?

Not much experience here in the secret center of the iris universe with either despond or arilbreds.

Here AB's have performed on a par with TB's. I think perhaps maybe they will do even better under some of our variable weather circumstances in some years. I may be stickin' a foot in my mouth mostly from being an optimist and some from having little experience with them.

The following aril and arilbreds were planted last year. The planted rhizomes were dormant or nearly so at the time of planting. They showed very few axillary buds at the time of planting but the increases show that the rhizomes were mature and the buds present. The planting took place in late June as best I recall. If the planting date becomes important I can look it up. Some may yet produce bloom stalks based on the sequence of pictures being posted by Texans who season precedes mine generally by a couple of weeks.

I personally will not refrain from acquiring any aril or arilbred from fear it will not do well in my climate. I like poker. Maybe that's why I like irises I never seen.

Name type increase bloom
Aril Skyline ( ) 5x and 2 stalks
Butterfly Wings (OB) 4x
Charming Image (OGB) 5x