CULT:Frost Heave( was mango grove)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] CULT:Frost Heave( was mango grove)
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:38:35 -0400

>looking for suggestions   during this lovely winter my iris rhizomes
heaved quite a bit   the rhizomes came out of the ground with the
roots leading into the ground like a mango tree in a swamp
any ideas how I can secure them before blooming time  mid-may
some are tb's medians and sdb's       clem<
Signs of a bad case of frost heave. Planting early enough to have roots established helps. Putting a rock on top of the rhizome. One I like is cutting a metal coat hanger and putting it looped over the rhizome to hold it down. It needs to be at least 10" long per side. Either way is a lot work.
Mike Greenfield
Zone 5b
SW Ohio
Region 6