Re: Aging Arilbreds

In a message dated 4/17/2004 12:58:42 PM Central Daylight Time, arilbredbreeder@cs.com writes:

The effect is relatively subtle in this case, but I've chosen it because it involves both anthocyanins [violet family] and carotenes [yellows].

I do not have many arilbreds or much arilbred knowledge for that matter.
That being said, for my part of the world, arilbred blooms last much longer than TB's in general. Certainly some of this can be attributed to cooler temps encountered in the early part of bloom season.

Still I find the concept of longer lasting blooms intriguing and particularly in arilbred bloom that exhibit significantly less substance than modern TB's. It has been more common for me to have blooms last 4 or 5 days with arilbreds than the characteristic two or three for the TB's. The blooms on one arilbred looked great for six days!

I thing this characteristic the most under recognized and promoted feature of the arilbreds.

Smiles,
Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Links