Re: ANOTHER Seedling pic - I could hardly believe

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] ANOTHER Seedling pic - I could hardly believe
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:41:59 -0700

Thank you everyone for your comments.  They are so appreciated.  That is a cute name Pat (Eight is Enough)!!!   I love it too Sandra, Randy, and Patrick.  I'd have to agree that 4 IS better than 3.  The flower is larger, has more visual impact, and is more lush with this many petals.
Each of it's 4 sides had pollen covered anthers, so I'm pretty sure it can at least be a pollen parent. I crossed the terminal 8 petalled one, and am hoping it'll take.  If so............. instead of 3 chambers for seeds, there should be four.  (due to the 4 style arms area and 4 stigmas)
Paul and Francesca here is another photo of that 8 petalled terminal bud that may show the color a little better. What do you think of the coloring?
The other buds are blooming "normal".  I counted the buds today and there are 10 buds on that stalk!  Substance is like plastic. It had a sibling that bloomed last year similar in color, only it was totally normal, shorter, and less buds.
I'll keep my eye on it, and watch to see if next year the terminal bud will do the same thing, and let you know - as you suggested Francesca, Christy, and Kitty.
Many of it's other siblings ranged from cream, to bi-colors & bi-tones, to ringed lumi-plics, but only this one had the terminal bud do this. The iris in the background is one of it's siblings.
Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.
Zone 8/9