Re: Re: OGB- sdlg

In a message dated 4/6/2005 11:05:30 AM Mountain Daylight Time, donald@eastland.net writes:
What I wrote isn't exactly accurate, I guess.  There are those AT
LAST seedlings and those would be from an OGB- X OGB.  Also I have
four new seedlings from LIGHTS OF ARABIA X DESERT EMBROIDERY.  The
problem is that my mind won't class AT LAST or DESERT EMBROIDERY as
OGB- in the way it will most of the type.  They look more like OGB
types than those I more easily mentally slot as OGB- types.  But
germination hasn't been good from those either, but a bit better
than others.  Every year my germination rates get worse on the AB
crosses.  With only 13 seeds from LOA, it is easily my best
percentage of germination this year.  So, of course, I will keep
plodding away at attempting to get plants from the type cross.  I
can't say I'm discouraged exactly, but not really encouraged either.

The OGB- x OGB cross and its reciprocal are certainly challenging ones -- few takes, low germination -- but  I've found an unusually high percentage of worthy seedlings among the ones that do make it to bloomsize.  Then, of course, there's the challenge of classifying them.  Many do have the OGB "look" but not OGB fertility.

Now, back to the garden. to examine more half-sibs of AT LAST.

Sharon McAllister

Yahoo! Groups Links