Re: Oversizedleaves.jpg

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Oversizedleaves.jpg
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:22:28 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/2005 11:20:37 AM Mountain Daylight Time, jansirisgarden@juno.com writes:
This I believe is the result of too much manure for new bed last fall.
It's an unknown.  What to do?  Replant else where?  Or will the manure
mellow out by next season?

Except for a small amount of cold damage, this clump looks quite healthy to me.  Yes, the manure will "mellow out".  As long as it's down in the root zone it should be beneficial and should actually improve with age.

I'm not sure what you mean by "deep".   Our rule of thumb starts the first manure layer at about 18" below surface level and the last one no more than 6" so that the rhizomes never come into contact with it.  Of course, I mean well-rotted manure.  When the roots grow into the manure layer, leaves change dramatically -- for the better.  Taller, broader.

On digging, we've often found rhizomes to have roots 18" to 30" long.  Their roots sorta curl around in the bottom layer of manure instead of penetrating the underlying sand.  But our soil is so low in nitrogen that it needs the extra boost -- I'm not suggesting that this is the appropriate solution everywhere.

Sharon McAllister

Yahoo! Groups Links