companion plant and beyond

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] companion plant and beyond
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:26:13 -0500

These little cob cacti are blooming today.  This one has a companion stack
about a foot away and is in the edge of an abandoned (this year, anyway)
iris bed carved out between the rocks.  They are scattered in the edges of
several iris beds and throughout the yard and on the rocky hill.  They tend
to bloom all at once for one day.  That was today.  Those in the way of
mowers don't do great as you'd expect, but I count 14 of the fellows
blooming among the bluebonnets on the hill.  They look pretty good for that
day they choose to bloom.  Probably they will have all finished blooming by
the weekend and it will be another year to wait for bloom.  They are neat
little plants even when not in bloom.  This is one you can handle with your
bare hands if you are careful.  There's another that blooms the same but
puts on little rosettes of thorns that isn't as kind.  I always hate to mow
over them, but like the bluebonnets, I just have to set parameters on where
some things are allowed to grow with abandon.  Currently another cactus in
the yard is blooming called Devil's Pin Cushion.  I'm getting far too many
of those, but they bloom VANITY pink and then put on a cluster of red, red
fruit right in the middle.  Some of those in the edge of the iris beds as
well, but I did move those there.  A complete pain to weed around, sometimes
literally a pain :).

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links