about the question(s)

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] about the question(s)
  • From: petalpusherpaul@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 04:55:36 EDT

Donald:  Not that I'm an expert on genetics but I think I can take a stab at an attempt to answer a few parts of your question(s).  Orange is part of the tangerine factor family of colors....so it is not unusual  to see it with pinks and yellows....and tangerine beards...The different color of the stands/falls is probably due to an inhibitor factor which creates the EDITH WOLFORD type....If you list the parentage of the seedling, I bet we'd understand a little more....The yellow is recessive so there is no blue....the stands have an inhibitor factor and a tangerine factor so the expression is no blue in the stands plus tangerine which allows the pink/orange combo....I'm sure there are many out there who will correct me if I'm wrong, but that is, in a simplistic way, what I see.....I often get oranges out of recessive tangerine lines....but they are not as common as the yellow....I made a cross out of (Queen in Calico x Sky Hooks) and got lots of yellows and one orange....among some purples and dogs.....I've used the orange in breeding and gotten some really interesting seedlings...I I were you I'd use that seedling with other recessives, if it's fertile......here is a photo of the orange seedling that has done me so much good in the seedling patch....next year I should have some F3, or third generation seedlings from it....
Hope I've not muddied the waters too much.......Paul Hill