Light Blue and White TB Iris

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Light Blue and White TB Iris
  • From: matbeach1@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:55:21 EDT

Hi,
I posted a pic of this same flower the other day -- that bloom was an older flower on a plant in a garden in Alabama.

I have a planted a piece from this iris last fall, and it opened for me here in South Carolina on Wednesday. Here is a pic of it as it opened, more blue in that one, and one from this afternoon, as it is now more chalky white. It was suggested to me that this might be Altruist (Schreiner's 1987), and so I looked at every picture I could find of Altruist, and I think that it may in fact be it. I selected two pictures here where you can just see the gold in the throat of the flower; that does not color the beard, which is pure white. That seemed a unique characteristic of Altruist in at least three of the photos I found.

In any event, it's quite pretty!

Mike in Myrtle Beach, SCarolina, Zone 8

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image