Re: interesting AB seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: interesting AB seedling
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:14:01 -0000

Hello Betty,
> 1) the seedling is a result of several generations, not just the
> Check the parent's parents, etc.

Ha!  Check out the entry for Lights of Arabia!  I don't see how an
entry could get much more complicated.  Lots of the Rich intros are
like this.  Lots of things could be hiding there, I expect.
> 2) maiden bloom may not be true to the actual color of the
seedling.   It
> could change next year.

Seedlings do change from one year to the next, but I've never yet
had one change pattern and color.  Things like timing of bloom in
the season, size, substance, but they've always looked the same.  My
own seedlings really haven't been as variable as some I've
> Your seedings are beautiful.  Do any rebloom?

I think probably no rebloom.  I hate to say this, to you especially,
but rebloom is a wonderful concept that doesn't really work under my
growing conditions.  Even if I could provide the needed moisture,
our fall temps usually stay too hot until an overnight freeze
occurs.  So when I've plants attempt to rebloom or even rebloom,
they've looked absolutely miserable.  When some had nice stalks, it
was usually too close to freezing temps and they got blasted.  The
result of seeing melted, bug eaten miserable blooms or cooked buds
and seeing those that might have been nice caught by a freeze, has
just frustrated me. A good rhizome wasted that would have better
waited for spring.  I grow several rebloomers, but they are usually
smart enough not to attempt it and perform like oncers here. It's an
extremely appealing idea, but I think I'd need to relocate for it to
be successful.

Yahoo! Groups Links