Re: historic DOROTHEA

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] historic DOROTHEA
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:30:43 -0600
  • Seal-send-time: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:30:43 -0600

Does anybody grow this Iris, and hopefully have photos of it?
I received one a year or two ago (not sure who from, need to hunt down the invoice) that is in a pot and blooming today at the botanic garden in Albuquerque.
I was walking by the potted Iris today and low and behold here is this one pot blooming, and it is identical to the one I sent photos of last night as "I. x germanica A" - the one that tends to get light streaks on the falls!
My first thought was that I had potted some of this old "back yard" thing for the garden, but no, this was in the wrong place for that, it was one I purchased.  The name on the pot is 'Dorothea'.
Now I'm curious if it is the real deal.  The written descriptions I've found are pretty useless for identification, but tend to make me think the one I received under this name might not be correct????