SDB F1 Seedling (Baby Blessed x Brash)

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] SDB F1 Seedling (Baby Blessed x Brash)
  • From: Dan Meckenstock dmeck@eaglecom.net
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:18:31 -0500

This little odd-ball is an F1 segregate from a cross between Baby
Blessed and Brash. Both parents are yellow and in addition Brash has an
anthocyanin spot on the falls. This F1 seedling, which I have designated
06 SDB 1237, is a carotenoid white and has two standards and three
falls, also remnants of the anthocyanin spot contributed by male parent
Brash is apparent. The importance of this flower is that it is evidence
that both Baby Blessed and Brash are hetero-whites and that they have a
common white genotype. By hetero-white, I mean both dominant and
recessive alleles are present at one of the white carotenoid loci and
that this heterozygosity is at the same loci in each parent. This may
not seem important, but if you are trying to develop a lycopene red
iris, it is my premise that all white loci that precede lycopene in the
carotenoid pathway be homozygous dominant. It is also my premise that
there is so much heterozygosity in today's irises that most irises are
hetero-whites and therefore a high concentration of lycopene can not be
accumulated until all recessive white alleles in the flower have been
eliminated. Granted, this phenomena appears with two yellow parents, but
if we look for it, I am sure we will find it in the pinks as well. The
problem as I see it, is selecting out these white recessive alleles in
order to develop darker yellows, reds, and oranges. So one thing you
want to look for in your crosses, is whether you have white segregates.
If you getting white segregates (even at low frequencies), then you know
your parents are hetero-whites and probably should not be used when
going for darker pinks or red.

Yahoo! Groups Links