Re: Darkest Day in Iris Gardening

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Darkest Day in Iris Gardening
  • From: "jjbhphd" JBHPHD@BELLSOUTH.NET
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:44:40 -0400

This is totally outrageous.
I think there is something you can do about it.
1.     You can call the police and make a report of vandalism, indicating your suspect. This may not be the first time that there is some retaliation for complaining.
2.    You can contact the CofC or the BBB and explain your concerns about this vendor.
3.    You can speak the the neighbors.  They are potential victims too.
Especially since such an idiot may attack again, you need to go on record.
I should probably shut my mouth here, but am constrained to go on. I am a native southerner, also a psychologist. When the Berlin wall fell and Germany was reunited, a German psychologist wrote a book in which he called the people who had lived under so called "communist" dictatorship "deformiert."  This has resonated in my brain ever sense. Tragically there is a subculture in the south which is also "deformed" by a mythological identity with the confederacy, thinking this is their "heritage," when in fact their ancestors were not likely to have been part of the plantation society, and also deformed by self-appointed religious fundamentalist preachers who have no understanding of the historical and cultural origins of our religious/moral traditions. As long as gays have no rights, there is no stem cell research, and no access to abortion, suck folk can easily indulge in vandalism, child and spousal abuse, even murder.  Unfortunately with the increasing displacement of wealth upward, and the cost of basic necessities like food, housing and medical care going up, education increasingly becomes a luxury. These folk are alienated, and resentful of those who live in the nice burbs and the gated communities. If we do not do something to stem the hopelessness of this underclass then life is going to be more difficult for everyone.  At the same time we should never keep quiet out of fear because someone will do an outrageous act like the one you have suffered. Sorry if my social analysis is clumnsy, but it would take more length than you want to read to do it right.
James Harrison
Asheville, NC