  • Subject: Re: Re: AB: CHILDSONG X ZERZURA - #2
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 19:02:23 EDT

    As far as I know, there has never been an official designation and acceptance of the term "arilmedian."  The Aril Society International yearbook for 2005, in its Glossary in the back, gives:  "Arilbred Median.  A small arilbred whose bearded forebears included dwarf species."  I have read where some people classed any short arilbred as an arilmedian.  In my mind, I use arilmedian to mean that the iris refers to a seedling that came from the cross of a pure aril or an arilbred and an iris that is officially classed by AIS as a median.  I also believe it has to fit into the size ranges for medians, too, as one can get a very tall arilbred from such a cross.  I use the term in an unofficial way, of course, as I recently named and registered a little arilbred, and ASI gave it an OGB- classification (oncogeliabred).  Another unofficial term some of us use is "stol-pum" to keep track of a dwarf arilbred that is a cross of the aril (regelia) I. stolonifera x I. pumila.

See what's free at AOL.com.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Top Scientist