AB: post freeze photos

  • Subject: AB: post freeze photos
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 14:04:35 -0500

Well, this is a new experience for me. I've no experience at all with a wet
freeze during iris bud/growth/bloom stage. Everything has thawed and right
now I'm going to say I've dodged the bullet for the most part :) :) :).
I've seen more damage where the temps were 8-9 degrees F warmer but cool
and still enough to allow hoar frost to settle that did more damage - at
least that showed up more as soon as everything thawed. The top photo was
taken yesterday and the blooms on the clump were covered in sleet and snow.
The second one is the same clump taken about 1pm today, some hours after
everything thawed. The bottom bloom is a guest seedling of an OGB- type
bloom that was in loose bud when the freeze hit and opened today. There is
some translucence to the tissue, but it's not limp by any means though there
is some sagging in the standards. Things in tight bud but fully emerged
from the spathes seem to be undamaged. The wet blotches showing yesterday
are going to be leaf spot. There was enough hail damage to the foliage that
any moisture that lingers will be a prime breeding ground for that to take
hold. At the moment, I'm elated and just wish I could extend the good
fortune to everyone who suffered during this weather. Hope I'm not counting
chicks too soon.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Recent Activity