CULT: weather and germination

  • Subject: CULT: weather and germination
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:13:33 -0500

With a lot of relief, I can report that the several freezing nights and ice storm here don't seem to have done any damage to the SDBs, except that some are blooming very close to the ground.  Still, the bloom is 9 days later than it was last year, and the current cold days, cutting wind and rain, and a projected week of more of the same promise to delay bloom even more.
Happily, I have some germination in all of the crosses made last year; however, the overall germination rate looks like it's going to be much less than usual.  A blessing in disguise, perhaps, since I wouldn't have room to accommodate them all if it were a normal year.  That said, the least germination is occurring in some of the most prized crosses, which is a disappointment,  The pots had been uncovered when the freezes hit, and germination seems virtually to have stopped at that point.  Maybe some warm days may produce some more?  I'll have to check with others here in Region 4 to see what their germination rate turns out to be.  Generally, we experience similar results.  It has made me think that there may be cycles or other factors affecting iris seed germination that occur without regard to the weather in the sprouting year.  --  Griff

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Top Scientist

10 Greatest Ever