  • Subject: AB: STUDY IN BLACK X V122
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:47:25 -0500

V122 was a Carole Vossen seedling I got from the ASI Plant Sale. It only
lived the first year and bloomed with an enormous magenta self bloom with a
large, pronounced signal. Not sure of the AB type. I asked her and she
wasn't sure. I call this one the patent leather seedling. The photo
doesn't really show it well, but it really gleams and the buds really are as
shiny as patent leather. It's a large bloom, dark purple with a near black
wash over the central fall area. Very heavy substance. There is one
sibling that has color showing and it has the same glossy bud. I made a
comparison cross using GALLANT MOMENT as the pod parent. Two seedlings
there and neither were as dark as this and neither had the glossy finish,
but both were really large blooms. I guess the gloss came via STUDY IN
BLACK and the oversized blooms from the Vossen seedling. The seedlings all
picked up a strong aril look. When the sibling of this one blooms, I'll be
nearing an end to seeing all the new seedlings I haven't seen before. But
not the end of the AB bloom. There are still plants in the stalk stage.
It's mostly going to be an AB year here since most of the TBs are apparently
still recovering from last summer and are going to skip blooming. I've
never had the ABs last this long. My season is going to be the normal
length and it usually takes the ABs and TBs together to give me that many
weeks of bloom. Strange weather accounts for that, I'm sure.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group