Re: CULT: copperhead

  • Subject: Re: CULT: copperhead
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:19:07 -0000

Linda,

As I recall, there are three species of copperheads. I think what we
have here is usually the trans-Pecos one. Contrast between the bands
is usually this distinct, but the color varies from this pale pinkish
brown-beige to a really bright copper orange. I always think the
really bright ones are freshly shedded specimans, but don't really
know. I think they may vary also by where they hang out. Those seen
in greenbriar growth are nearly always brighter than those seen where
it's primarily oak leaves. Dead briar leaves are shinier and more
orange than the oak leaves. Not only do they blend in the habitat to
an amazing degree, they also tend to cover themselves under it -
including loose soil - rather than simply lying on top. And you can
work all over the top of them without them moving to give themselves
away. They don't like to be touched, though. Generally they are
extremely passive if you don't touch them, but on occasion I have seen
them turn really aggressive. Never knew why.

Donald

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group