Re: HYB: Iris suaveolens var. rubromarginata

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Iris suaveolens var. rubromarginata
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:47:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Loïc,
I wrote a reply to you yesterday, but I don't see it
now, so I must have messed up somewhere.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad that CLOWN PANTS got
to you in such good condition and look forward to
seeing what you can do with it. It sure is a "tough
number"! I was as surprised as you, at how big CLOWN
PANTS is, considering how tiny its father was. The
clone that I used (var. mellita) was a little bigger
than the rubromarginata that I recently posted.
Actually, I've had my doubts, and still have a few,
about CLOWN PANTS parentage. But, it does seem to
throw a lot of seemingly revertant [to suaveolens]
seedlings -- many with narrow tucked falls, curved
foliage and also a lot of dwarfish ones. I would have
been more convinced, if CLOWN PANTS had been more
obviously intermediate between the two species, like
my crosses of pallida and suaveolens [these are
without doubt hybrids]. In any case, it's been one of
my most productive parents.
I'd still like to repeat the original cross or do an
analogous one, to see if I get similarly as vigorous
offspring. Maybe I'll get to try that this season.
Thanks again, and best wishes. Tom

Loïc wrote:

Hello Thomas,

i can't believe this tiny crooked thing is the father
of your beautiful Clown Pants!
Miracles happen, that's why one should never blindly
obey advise saying things shouldn't be done!

Clown Pants is doing quite fine here and surely
should have bloom on 3 stalks if it keeps growing
that well. Considering the size it arrived last fall,
it surely is a tough number!

Thanks a lot!

Be a better friend, newshound, and