TB: escaping the compost pile

  • Subject: TB: escaping the compost pile
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:30:06 -0500

This is a sibling to the velvet top RUSTLER X SATAN'S MISTRESS. And sort of
an answer to Griff's hope I'm working with that one. TB seedlings are more
at risk of being tossed on the compost pile than any other seedlings. AB
seedlings have the advantage of containing aril genes and that buys them
more time and elicits more patience. The TB seedlings are basically just
grown so they can be grown with AB seedlings for comparison. I was musing
about those that have managed to remain here and assessing the reasons why.
In the case of the velvet top sibling, it the quirky velvet top. So some
kind of quirky trait that interests me or that I like will buy them time.
In the case of this one, it's a combination of plentiful bloom and foliage
that tends to be healthier than most iris here. Most TB seedlings get a 2nd
year before they're tossed, but there have been some that were so
unappealing they went immediately after bloom. After the 2nd year, they
either have that appealing quirk or they have to do what this one does - and
they have to do it every year barring natural disasters that prevent it.
I've had some that did this multiple seasons and then skipped and they are
gone. It's so much easier to toss one when the memory of how they looked
isn't recent. But I don't really daub around with them much. Even when I
do it's mostly with AB pollen. This one has earned another year here.
Aside from reliable bloom, this plant gets high marks for healthy foliage.
Everything here always has incipient leaf spot that is waiting to get out of
control if the weather conditions are right. This plant has very few spots
and when leafspot is rampant, it's been highly resistant. I do hope those
that made it Austin saw things blooming like this.

I don't know how the size of these photos fit with what's allowed. If I
check the properties in my photo storage the kbs are different than if I
open them and check the properties. I sent this to my own email before
sending here to the list and the kbs were yet different again. Not
significant differences, but different. I don't understand that. Unlike
Linda, I do like to see the whole clump because that tells more about
performance and the overall structure of a blooming plant. Bloomstalks give
varying effects - caps, open and airy, bunching and on and on. But taking
her suggestion I posted details of the clump photo. The clump photo is
reduced 80-85% (not exactly sure because I continued to reduce and not sure
if the subsequent reductions are the same as with the beginning picture),
The foliage section was reduced 50% (one more 5% reduction and the leaves
began to have serrated edges), and the detail of the bloom was reduced 60%
(or maybe a bit more, but I know at least 60%). Frankly, I don't think the
reduced size of the clump photo was worth posting, but without it these
details from it wouldn't tell as much either. Not a satisfactory tradeoff,
but something.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA