HYB: Iris reichenbachii ex. Varda Gorge

  • Subject: HYB: Iris reichenbachii ex. Varda Gorge
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 05:03:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,
I've been away for a couple of days, so I've missed
out on the discussion. Sorry about my mis-remembering
of the species name, and many thanks to Elm for kindly
correcting my mistake. Elm, is the diploid clone that
you mentioned, the other reichenbachii that Lowell
Baumunk grows? I've got that clone too, but didn't
know its ploidy, and had't tried it yet for
Francesca asked, "Does it fall in the MDB or the SDB
Here in Maryland, my clump (from ex. Varda Gorge
clone) is currently around 10 inches tall. The other
clone, I haven't measured, but I think is shorter.
Elm wrote: Brian Mathew says of I. reichenbachii:
"This species closely resembles I. suaveolens but is
usually a little taller and has broader leaves and a
shorter perianth tube." Mathew lists it at 10-30 cm,
which should be 4" to just under 12" (but then I may
be off on the translation into inches, as I missed the
whole movement to teaching metric in school.....that
came after my schooling). What puzzles me is Mathew's
saying it has a perianth tube, whereas Köhlein says it
has a stem. Can an iris have both a stem and a
perianth tube?
Comparing the 2 clones that I've grown of
reichenbachii and 3 of suaveolens, I don't undertand
them being described as closely resembling each other.
They seem very different to me -- in height, size of
parts in general, and form of foliage and flowers.

And I don't see any reason why an iris can't have both
a stem and an elongated perianth tube; but it seems to
me, that elongated perianth tubes should go
hand-in-hand with reduced stem (and vice versa).

Elm, I'd noticed John Taylor's irises at Iris
Colorado's site and was wondering about his work. I
was especially interested in his use of Iris
timofejewii. Do you know if he's written any articles
about his work or discussed it at any of the forums? I
guess I could ask Lowell for contact information.
Best wishes, Tom

Be a better friend, newshound, and