CULT: Rain woes

  • Subject: CULT: Rain woes
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:30:12 -0500

Rain, rain, go away!  Several days of rain or drizzle here, with a break on Saturday --  just enough time to try some long-shot hybridizing with the earliest opening TBs.  An onslaught of leaf spot in beds that are usually free of it (even with the traces of preventive Daconil still on the foliage!), and several cases of rot in seedling beds.  I'm not sure what causes the rot in the first place, but am convinced it is spread by insects.  I'm also skeptical of the assertion that leaf spot resides in the soil and is spattered up on the plants with the rain.  When I see a dozen and a half previously leaf-spot-free beds with the foliage covered tip to base with the stuff overnight, I'm more inclined to think the stuff is airborne and comes down like frogs.  --  Griff