Re: Photo: Deformed- Maybe ?

  • Subject: Re: Photo: Deformed- Maybe ?
  • From: Cordesview <cordesview@m33access.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:16:25 -0400

Hi There Linda . . .

Nope,  that is not pineapple effect.  "Pineapple-ing" affects the foliage,  not so much the rhizome.  Your rhizomes look wonderfully healthy!

From the looks of it, your iris was transplanted about 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) too deep.  You can tell from the smaller rhizome on the left, below the large one with 2 fans/1former stalk.  Also, what gives away the depth of planting is where the green leaves meet a white base of the fan in the far-left/smaller fan of that clump.

You know, looking at it, I can also see where that smaller-left-fan is going to make the same "tube-shaped rhizome" so that it can grow closer to the surface.  You can see where the white bases of the leaves join, there is a white stem that connects it to the old rhizome at the base of the photo (Photo 1).  It kinda looks like the base of a Green Onion that you'd use in a salad . . . but I guarantee from first-hand experience that you DON'T want to cut up this white flesh for your salad!  (Iris rhizomes are especially poisonous.)

I have some iris just now growing "pineapple fans", and I'll have to snap a photo to share with ya.  It's not a pretty sight, but interesting, none the less.

Adam Cordes
President - Mio Irisarians
Region 6
Zone 4 (and a half . . .J)