Re: Re: AB: curious stray

  • Subject: Re: Re: AB: curious stray
  • From: smciris@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:41:23 EDT

Yes, quite reasonable.  But there are two other possibilities that come to mind.  Because I've used enhanced germination procedures, with seedlings moved from lights to seedling beds only after they are mature enough to make it, I have not had to be concerned about various varmints moving seeds.

I've had some similar surprises in the seedling patch, especially with TB recessives.  Not exactly your flower, but by all appearance an OGB type.  Some, like JOINT VENTURE, have proved to be fertile enough to produce some valuable offspring.

I would not be surprised, however, to find a flower like this from a cross of an OGB+ arilbred onto a TB.

It sounds like you have salvaged an unusually strong plant from your dumping ground.  It would be interesting to find out if it is even limitedly fertile and whether it can pass on that strength to its offspring.

Sharon McAllister

In a message dated 4/1/2009 12:45:12 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, donald@eastland.net writes:

> Was this a "dumping ground" for culled seedlings or for soil that contained
> unsprouted seeds?

Pots of unsprouted seeds - and a lot of them that year. I'm in the habit of keeping pots through two seasons (mostly) and then discarding them. Too much work for too little return beyond that time frame but it does result in strays.

>Were these OGB- type seedlings traditional
> first-generation quarterbreds or were they from wide crosses?

They should have all been 1st gen cross of TBxAB types. Other types were dumped in a different place. Pots that sit around for 24-30 months or more are exposed to squirrels, mice, toad frogs and birds digging in them from time to time, not to mention occasionally being tipped over with the spill scraped up and put back in the pots. Especially tricky if more than one pot is tipped at the same time. Quite often I find seeds on the surface and push them back under the soil. While in the pots, different types aren't segregated so my speculation is that a varmint moved a seed from one pot to another and this is the result. A reasonable scenario based on its appearance?

Donald Eaves

Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or less.