Re: HYB: Odd Pattern

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Odd Pattern
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:06:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Brock,
Those photo links you posted look uncannily similar to what I'm seeing with this seedling. It's always looked like the unmarked typical ALPINE LAKE until this spring (which has had some abnormal temperature swings).

I've seen just a little of the darker brushmarks on one or two of the other amoenas (siblings) but this one showed it most strongly.

I'm guessing that even if it is an unstable weather induced pattern, it could be selected to be more stably expressed. It'll just have to be low on my list of projects - so many other exciting things to try.
Thanks for the info.
Tom

From: "eroctuse2" <EROCTUSE2@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:14:15 -0000

I really like this one, Thomas. As far as the reasoning behind the pattern, I'm not sure.

Because the identity of my "Alpine Vista" is in question, a friend here suggested I search the archives for 'Alpine Lake' and there's a neat shot of what a late cold snap did to the coloration here:

http://www.hort.net/lists/highlight.pl?bits=3&search=alpine+lake&URL="">"">iris-photos/oct02/msg00303.html#marker

I'd be interested to see how yours develops over time.

Thank-you for sharing the photos.

Brock